What’s so great about fresh Maine seafood and lobster?
It’s no secret that Maine is well-known for its seafood and lobster delicacies. But what makes Maine lobster and seafood different from others around the world?
Read on to learn what’s so great about fresh Maine seafood and lobster.
What’s so great about seafood anyway?
Seafood offers connoisseurs an excellent mix of low-fat and low-calorie protein, along with plenty of vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids our bodies need to function at their best.
Consuming about 8 ounces of seafood per week (based on a 2,000 calorie diet) will give you all the benefits your body needs, as well as providing delicious, heart healthy meals.
Maine lobster vs. Spiny lobster
A common misunderstanding of Maine lobster is to mix it up with a spiny (or rock) lobster.
The spiny lobster hails from the warm waters of Florida, the Caribbean, or southern California. Meanwhile, the Maine lobster comes right from the cold waters of Maine, of course!
Other than location, it’s easy to distinguish the Maine lobster visually from the spiny lobster, as spiny lobsters have large, long antennae, large horns above the eyes, and no large front claws. Their taste can also differ, as Maine lobster are well known for a sweet, succulent flavor.
5 Reasons Why Maine Seafood Is So Delicious
Now that you know why seafood is healthy for you and some differences between Maine lobsters and others, what’s so great about Maine seafood?
- Long-time heritage: Maine fishermen and lobstermen have been working along the coastline for over a century. During that time, they’ve honed their techniques and practices, as well as taken great pride in catching the best quality seafood possible.
- Cold, clean waters: Thanks to the Gulf Stream, nutrients are brought to the waters of Maine. Coupled with the colder water temperatures, Maine’s coastline offers the perfect environment for shellfish and small baitfish (which attract larger catches).
- Huge diversity: Many seafood lovers don’t realize the incredible diversity in Maine’s local catches, which change from season to season. From crab, oysters, lobster, and scallops to cod, salmon, and halibut, Maine has an incredible selection of seafood throughout the year.
- Day-of fresh catch: Another unique aspect of Maine fishing is our proximity to the local catch. Since many species live so close to our shoreline, fishermen and lobstermen are able to bring in seafood the same day they are caught.
- Same day filets: Similarly, many fishermen are able to descale and gut fish or prepare shellfish the same day they are available for sale to consumers. That means that you’re often able to purchase seafood the same day it came out of the ocean.
As you can see, it’s no coincidence that Maine is famous for phenomenal seafood. Now you’ll have a better idea of what sets Maine apart in its fish and shellfish.
Ready to try Maine seafood for yourself? Order today or come into our Scarborough, Maine location to purchase fresh caught Maine fish and lobster.